Monday, October 19, 2009

Olive Oil

When I needed olive oil in America, I would ask my husband to buy some from Sam's Club. I found out that the Ashours' obtain olive oil by a different means. Yes, you could buy olive oil in a store in Jordan, but where is the fun in that! I found out today that the olive trees planted in front of our house are not just for decoration. We actually collect all the olives and send them to be pressed into olive oil for us.

To collect the olives, first you beat the tree with a stick to shake the olives off the branches. Then you pick up each of the fallen olives and put them in a bucket or bag.

Today, Cido was the tree beater and Teta and I picked up the fallen olives. There is nothing quite like olives raining down on your head! But I knew that if I was given the stick, I would have beat the tree to a pulp.

No comments:

Post a Comment