Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Mastering the Taxi

I am from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where your rarely see a taxi on the street. If you do happen to see one, you immediately assume the person just arrived from the airport, or the person was too drunk to drive his own car home. This is not the case in Amman. Here in Amman, there are taxies everywhere, much like New York City. Since I do not have my own car or a Jordanian license yet, I need to learn how to manage travel by taxi. You see, if I was in New York instead of Amman, there would be no language barrier. I would be able to know without a doubt that my directions were understood.

But so far so good. I have managed to go to the mall and to the hospital (sister in law had her appendix removed) and back home again with no problems. I guess the drivers know just enough English and I know just enough Arabic to get where I need to go with ease. Everytime I hail a taxi, I get more and more confident. Yeah, me!!!

1 comment: