Sunday, September 6, 2009

Ramadan

Ramadan is the month in the Muslim calendar that all Muslims fast from sunset to sundown. They are not allowed to eat, drink, smoke, or have sexual relations from morning to dusk. This year, Ramadan began around August 22, and will end approximately September 21. So, that means that we are at the half way point today. THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried fasting the first day. I made it the whole day without eating or drinking. Barely. I was soooooooo thirsty. I would have killed someone for a glass of water, if I could have. All day long, I was in a foul mood. I barked at everyone who dared to look my way. It came as no surprise when Raed strongly suggested that I not continue to fast for the rest of the month.

I have been watching the family for the last 2 weeks, paying close attention to how they cope with fasting. They make it seem like it is no big deal. I felt like dying, but they float right on through it. Grrrrr. Raed says that it is part of their way of life, and they are just used to it. Maybe that is true. Blessings on them all.

During the month of Ramadan, schools and business have shorter working hours during the day to accomidate the fasting multitude. No restuarant or supermarket is open during the day. It was quite eirie to walk through the mall and the food court be completely shut down at lunch time. It took some time to get used to packing the kids a lunch when we go places, because if not, they were out of luck. You cannot just drop by a convenience store and buy some chips and water. Everything that sells food is CLOSED until 7pm.

Raed and I are used going out and about during the day. These new working hours for businesses are keeping us home all day every day. We are sooooo bored. Thank goodness, only 2 more weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment