Saturday, August 29, 2009

Baby Birthday Celebration

Now, where was I. The ladies put the baby in a beautiful bassinet-like basket and held him up overhead as they danced. Candles were passed around for all to hold. All outside lights were turned off and all the candles were lit. My first thought was, "Oh my goodness! Children and lit candles. This is a catastrophe waiting to happen." I made sure Rami and Adam were by my side the entire time their candles were lit. One of the older ladies began to ring a bell and started to sing the traditional song for the occasion. Of course it was in Arabic, so I have no idea what the song was about. I would like to think that it was blessings for the baby.

After the traditional song, the dance music was turned back on and the dancing continued, with the lit candles. It did not take long......Mya, my niece, was burned on the forhead. Not bad, but enough that my sister-in-law, Sana, immediately ordered that all the candles be blown out.

We danced a little before it was time to pass out the refreshements, Pepsi and the best variety of cakes I have ever tasted. There was cheesecake with blueberry topping, carrot cake, chocolate cake, fruit cake, etc. And around midnight, the music was turned off so that we could relax and talk under the canopy of grape leaves outside in the courtyard. Raed told me that the last of the people left at 4 am. Sorry, I still cannot hack it. I had to go to bed at 1:30 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment